▼ eResources

Grenfell Campus
Menu Button
Default Interior

Disability Services/ Accommodations


To request disability services please email studentservices@grenfell.mun.ca​​  

In collaboration with faculty, staff, and students and off-campus agencies, Grenfell Campus, Memorial University is committed to providing a safe and accessible learning environment for students with disabilit​​iesAccommodating disabilities is a shared responsibility between university staff, faculty and administrators. We assist prospective and current students whose disabilities involve mobility, vision, hearing, learning (disabilities), chronic illnesses, or mental health. Support is also provided to students with documented temporary illnesses and injuries.​​​​

Accessibility Policy for Students with Disabilities

Frequently Asked Questions- Accessibility for Fall 2020

Current Students


Future Students


Faculty and Staff

Current Students

How do I register for my accommodations?

The first step will be to contact our disability services centre, called Accessibility Centre and Education Support (ACES). Any accommodation requests must be supported by medical documentation (i.e. psych-educational assessment, doctor's note, record of accommodations from high school/IEP). This information can be scanned and forwarded to belliott@grenfell.mun.ca, or sent to:

Grenfell Campus – MUN

20 University Drive

Corner Brook, NL

A2H 5G4

Attn: Brad Elliott – ACES (AS 234 A)

You will be contacted by ACES for a remote intake interview. After which, accommodations will be established.

Will my accommodations be met while I am remote learning?

Every effort is being made to assist instructors and students to ensure that appropriate accommodations are made during this period of online and remote learning. After registering with ACES, your instructors are sent e-mail notifications, advising them of your accommodations. You will be copied on each notification to your instructor. We encourage you to reach out, through e-mail, to each of your instructors to ensure your accommodations can be met.

If you have any concerns with the way your accommodations are provided once your instructors has been contacted, we encourage you to contact ACES staff at belliott@grenfell.mun.ca.

My accommodations have expired, what do I do?

Depending on the disability type and the documentation you provided, your accommodations may have an expiry date. For example, a student who requested accommodations due to an unexpected injury (i.e., a broken wrist) would have their accommodations entered as temporary and their accommodations would have an expiry date. If your accommodations have expired and you would like to request an extension, please contact ACES staff. You may need you to provide updated documentation to extend the accommodations.

How do I book tests and exams with ACES?

Please note that during this period of remote learning, test/exam bookings are not available for Fall 2020.

All exam-related accommodations (extra time, etc.) will be the responsibility of your instructor.  Instructors are working with ACES, as well as the Centre for Innovation in Teaching and Learning (CITL), to make accommodations available in online tests and quizzes.  If you have any questions about your accommodations, we encourage you to discuss this with your instructor.  You can always ACES staff to discuss any concerns. 

How do I access an alternate format of a textbook?

Alternate formats for some textbooks, such as PDF's, may be available. ACES can request an alternate format of a text on your behalf. In order to do so, you can either:

Proof of purchase of the textbook may be required before we can contact any publishers on your behalf; please ensure you keep a copy of your receipts.

How can I apply for grants for students with disabilities?

The NL Student Aid program offers students who identify as having a permanent disability access to additional funding for their university studies. To be eligible, you must have applied for Student Aid and be approved for funding – (at least $1). Visit the NL Student Aid website for more information and an application: https://www.gov.nl.ca/aesl/studentaid/disabilities/ or call 1-709-729-5849 or toll free at: 1-888-657-0800 or email at studentaidenquiry@gov.nl.ca.

NOTE: The cost of services and equipment may bring you to that $1 of need. For example: if it is determined, in your needs assessment, that you have excess resources of $500 dollar (so do not qualify for Student Aid) but the services and equipment needed will cost $2000 – you may then be determined to have $1500 of need and thus eligible to be assessed for the Canada Student Grant for Persons with Permanent Disabilities and the Grant for Services and Equipment for Persons with Permanent Disabilities.

Step 1 - Ask your doctor, psychologist or another professional who is familiar with your learning needs and/or disability to complete the Verification of Eligibility portion of the application.

NOTE: Only the first page, Section A, of VOE is required if the student has a specific learning disorder and a copy of their Comprehensive Educational Assessment should be attached. Sections B, C and D are required to be completed by a medical professional if the disability is anything other than a specific learning disorder.

  • Once completed, send the Verification of Eligibility form to Student Aid. You will only need to submit this form once during your studies. (Unless you have an additional diagnosis for which you need accommodation/services and equipment).
  • Once approved, you will automatically access the Canada Student Grant for Persons with Permanent Disabilities ($2,000 a year) every year that you apply for a loan and receive funding. (NOTE: For the 2020-2021 academic year ONLY; the Canada Student Loans program has doubled the Canada Grants.  The $2,000 Grant for students with permanent disabilities will be $4,000)

Step 2 - Meet with ACES staff to discuss the services and equipment covered by the Grant for Services and Equipment for Persons with Permanent Disabilities (CSG- PDSE). The grant allows for up to $20,000 in expenses per year. You can apply for this each semester.

  • Determine what services or equipment you will need (eg. a computer or tutoring, transportation).
  • Contact a store or a service provider to get an estimate on the cost. (See guidelines for getting a quote and a list of providers used by other Memorial students).

NOTE: Provincial Grant for High Need Students with Permanent Disabilities may also be available: Covers education-related costs associated with the disability over the maximum amount available from the CSG-PDSE.

Step 3 - Complete the first page of the application form for the Grant for Services and Equipment for Persons with Permanent Disabilities.

  • Mail or email the first page of the form to belliott@grenfell.mun.ca at ACES.
  • If requesting tutoring or note taking, include estimates for these services with the form.
  • ACES will complete pages 2-4 of the form and submit the form and return form to the student for submission to Student Aid.
  • You have 8 weeks from the first day of classes during the fall, winter, and spring semesters to apply for services and equipment from the $20,000 annual grant. For six-week sessions, you can submit up until 2 weeks after the first day of classes.

NOTE: In order to complete your assessment for the CSG-PDSE a void cheque or stamped direct deposit form  your bank is required  - an account will need to be set up with the Provincial Department of Finance to disburse  funds (all other funds are disbursed through the National Student Loan Services Centre).If your bank operates exclusively on-line an unstamped direct deposit form  printed from your account is acceptable as long as it has both your address and the bank's address along with account information.

Step 4 - Student Aid will inform you by email if your application has been approved and will explain how to access the funds. (NOTE: Be sure your email is updated on your NL Student Aid Account so you don't miss important notifications).

  • If you make a purchase before you receive the approval email, Student Aid will reimburse you - as long as the expense is approved and the item was purchased in the pre-study period, 17 weeks, before you begin your semester.
  • Do not purchase anything before getting that email - unless you are prepared to cover the cost.
  • At the end of the semester, submit copies of your receipts to Student Aid to confirm that you purchased the approved equipment or services. Any funds not used for the intended purpose must be returned to Student Aid.

For more information, please visit https://www.gov.nl.ca/aesl/studentaid/changes/

NOTE: Students from other provinces and territories are eligible for similar funding from their student aid programs. ACES can also assist with applications to those programs. https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benefits/education/student-aid/grants-loans/province-apply.html

Can ACES help me obtain a tutor?

As a part of the Learning Centre, ACES can set you up with a tutor. This can be established, either by completing and submitting a Request for a Peer Tutor, or by utilizing the funding for tutoring you received from Student Aid. If you are wondering about funding for a tutor, please see the Student Aid section of this FAQ.

Are there any career development supports available for students with disabilities?

For more information about Career Development, please click here.


Future Students

When should new students contact ACES?

If you are new to Grenfell Campus, we suggest you contact ACES as soon as possible and prior to the start of your first semester. Future students should e-mail studentservices@grenfell.mun.ca or belliott@grenfell.mun.ca at any time to schedule a meeting with an ACES staff to discuss accommodations.

What documentation do I need to register with ACES?

All requests for accommodation (e.g., additional time to write a test) and services (e.g. housing requests, parking requests) are based on documented need, in accordance with the Accommodations for Students with Disabilities policy. It is the responsibility of the individual requesting an accommodation to provide the necessary and appropriate documentation to ACES, as outlined in this procedure from the policy.

How do I request accommodations for Housing?

In order to request an accessible dorm room, you will need to complete the Application for Alternative Housing at Grenfell Campus. Click here for more information.

How do I request an accessible parking permit?

If you have a government issued accessible (blue zone) parking permit, a number of clearly identified blue zone parking spaces are available to you at Grenfell Campus

If you require a parking permit for medical reasons but do not currently have a blue zone permit, ACES can support your request with Facilities Management. Email your request to studentservices@grenfell.mun.ca.  Please ensure to include your name and student number and attach any supporting documentation.


Faculty and Staff

How do I add extra time to tests or quizzes for a student in Brightspace?

For students with extra time accommodation, you can easily adjust this setting within the "Assessment" tab in your Brightspace course website.   Check out this resource that walks you through how to make this particular accommodation.

CITL has developed a number of resources with accessibility-related accommodations in Brightspace. 

Do accommodations still apply as I teach remotely?

Yes. Some accommodations are not applicable now that courses are being taught remotely or online and others may be challenging to provide.  Regardless, there is a responsibility to meet students' academic accommodations. ACES is prepared to assist you with this process.  If you have questions with implementing specific accommodations for students during this time of remote and/or online instruction, please reach out to our staff by emailing belliott@grenfell.mun.ca.

Where can I learn more about teaching in an accessible and inclusive way?

Please checkout CITL's Instructional Continuity website for more great ideas about remote and online instruction. ACES staff is also prepared to provide advice and assistance. Please contact us at belliott@grenfell.mun.ca or studentservices@grenfell.mun.ca.

Student Services

Grenfell Campus, Memorial University of Newfoundland
20 University Drive, Corner Brook, NL
A2H 5G4, Canada

Office: AS278
Phone: (709) 637-6232
Email: studentservices@grenfell.mun.ca

Grenfell Logo

© Grenfell Campus, Memorial University of Newfoundland, Corner Brook, NL Canada Toll Free 1-888-637-6269

Privacy Policy    Login    Library    Sitemap    Site Feedback

Grenfell Logo

© Grenfell Campus, Memorial University of Newfoundland, Corner Brook, NL Canada. Toll Free 1-888-637-6269

Privacy Policy




Site Feedback