Orientation 2019 is not only about welcoming new students to campus, it's about helping them integrate into the community.
"Through orientation, we are really working to ensure students start their new lives as university students on the right foot," said Lorna Payne, Learning Centre co-ordinator. " For many of our students, university also means moving away from home to a new town, province or even country. We have organized events that focus on wellness, safety and student engagement in the campus and greater Corner Brook communities."
This year highlights include:
• Parent Orientation – held on Sunday, Sept. 1 in LC301, 6-7 p.m. – will encourage parents to build new relationships with other parents and learn about their students' academic surroundings and what to expect during their first academic year.
• Warriors Warm-Up- held on Monday, Sept 2 in the outdoor Backlot area- will be all about fun, energy and getting to know classmates
• The Price is Right – sponsored by the Navigate with games created in the new Maker Space- will be held Tuesday, Sept. 4 at the Arts and Science atrium. Prizes to be won! Students will have to present their student ID to get the chance to be a contestant.
• Splash of Colour Run- scheduled for Saturday, Sept. 7- is the most colourful 3 kilometers in town. Register here: https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/splash-of-colour-run-2019-tickets-62578566176
• All ages concert featuring DJ Shub( GCSU Backlot) All ages – Sept 7 at 9:30 p.m. Tickets are $10 in advance, and $13 at the door. DJ Shub is a Mohawk DJ / music producer who has won numerous awards; including several DMC Canada and Red Bull Thre3Style Championships Purchase tickets at https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/dj-shub-tickets-68027326565?aff=ebdssbdestsearch
• All-ages Concert featuring Famba (GCSU Backlot) Sept 14 at 9:30 p.m. Tickets are $10 in advance, and $13 at the door. Buzzing producer / DJ Famba has become Canada's fastest rising electronic artist through the strength of his major label releases and widespread remixes. Famba's tracks include 'Swear to God' and 'Wish You Well.' Purchase tickets at https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/famba-tickets-68030068767?aff=ebdssbdestsearch
• The City of Corner Brook Street Crawl – to be held Sunday, Sept. 8. Students will tour the downtown area to learn about local services and businesses.
To register for Orientation or for the full schedule, visit www.grenfell.mun.ca/orientation.