Telephone Etiquette Policy
The best interest of the University and its employees will be served only if the needs of our students and the community we serve are met in the most serviceable and effective manner. For many of our customers the telephone will serve as the primary, and in some instances, the only source of service fulfillment, with those individuals representing the business operation of the University.
Therefore, it is of utmost importance that all employees subscribe to the principle that customer service is of utmost importance and will "go the extra mile" to assure their 100% satisfaction.
To this end the University's Policy requires that all employees:
- answer telephones promptly and courteously;
- provide proper identification, including own name (full or partial), department or function when placing calls and when answering the telephone;
- show respect and courtesy by using the customer's full name, title or rank, except where the circumstances are such that the use of the caller's first name would be more appropriate;
- ensure that any transferred calls are answered before disconnecting from the customer;
- receive and place their own telephone calls, whenever possible;
- become fully trained on specific telephone features;
- utilize call forward or voice mail when absent from work area;
- handle customer calls in a thoughtful, considerate, patient and helpful manner