Computer Use Responsibilities and Use Agreement
The central computing facilities at Grenfell Campus are provided for the use of its students, faculty and staff in the non-commercial support of learning, teaching, research, and administrative functions. All users are responsible for seeing that these computing facilities are used in an effective, efficient, ethical and lawful manner.
Your agreement to abide by them is required before your request for access to University network facilities can be processed.
- All access to central computer systems, including the issuing of accounts and passwords, must be approved by the ITS Department.
- An account assigned to an individual must not be used by others. The individual is responsible for the proper use of the account, including proper password protection and insuring that only he/she has access to the account.
- Abusive, fraudulent, or harassing messages are not to be sent or stored by users. All chain letters are prohibited. An account shall not be used to access network game servers or IRC (ie. Internet Relay Chat) clients.
- Programs and files are confidential unless they explicitly have been made available to other authorized individuals. Authorized personnel from the ITS Department, however, will monitor facilities use to ensure system integrity, performance and user policy adherence. When performing this task, every effort will be made to insure user privacy.
- No one should deliberately attempt to degrade the performance of a computer system or to deprive authorized personnel of resources or access to any university computer system.
- Loopholes in computer security systems or knowledge of a special password should not be used. The existence of such loopholes/special passwords must be immediately reported to the ITS Department.
- Users must abide by all provisions of software licenses and copyright law as applied to the storage of all information in any form.
- User files will be removed from the system within a reasonable period after the account expires or the user ceases to be affiliated.
Violation of Policy
Offences will be dealt with in the same manner as violations of other university policies and may result in disciplinary action in accordance with existing Collective Agreements, Terms and Conditions of Employment or the Code of Disciplinary Procedures for Students. In such a review, the full range of disciplinary actions available, including loss of computer privileges for a specified period of time, dismissal from the University, and legal action may be considered. Violations of some of the above policies may constitute a criminal offence.
I accept responsibility for the computer account issued to me by Grenfell Campus Memorial University of Newfoundland, and agree to follow the policies specified above. I agree to keep my password assigned to me confidential and will ensure that only I use it.