Tuesday, October 29, 2019
Grenfell Observatory Presents: "Spooky Space"
Tuesday, October 29th at 8:00pm-10:00pm at Grenfell Campus (room AS 2026)
Come and learn about some spooky space phenomena from black holes and gravitational waves to Dark Matter. A talk will be followed by a trivia game with prizes, and a visit to the Grenfell Observatory. All ages, free admission. Come in a costume for a free raffle ticket, or pay $5 to benefit the Student Physics Club. Registration required - please go to Grenfell Observatory Presents: "Spooky Space" or search for Grenfell events on Eventbrite. In partnership with Grenfell Campus, NSERC PromoScience, Qalipu First Nation and Parks Canada.
Saturday, September 21, 2019
Parks Canada and Grenfell Observatory Present: Star Party at Trout River Pond, Saturday, September 21st at 7:00pm.
Come enjoy an evening of star-gazing with Parks Canada
and Dr. Svetlana Barkanova, Physics
Professor at Grenfell, MUN - learn about the night sky and the stars, their legends and how wild life depends on darkness. Free; no registration required; all ages. Please see Gros Morne National Park calendar of events
for more information.
Tuesday, September 17, 2019
Grenfell Observatory Presents: “Navigating by Sky Day and Night: Past and Present”, 8:00pm – 10:00pm, Tuesday, September 17th, AS 2026. Do you know how to find the North Star? How to navigate by the Sun? Join us for a talk about Celestial Navigation with a bit of Newfoundland history, storytelling, a trivia game with prizes, and a visit to the Grenfell Observatory. All ages, free admission. Registration required - please go to Grenfell Observatory Presents: “Navigating by the Sky: Past and Present”
or search for Grenfell events on Eventbrite
. Part of Science Literacy Week
September 16 – 22, 2019, highlighting Canada’s scientists and science communicators from coast-to-coast. In partnership with Grenfell Campus
, NSERC PromoScience
, Qalipu First Nation
and Parks Canada
Tuesday, July 23, 2019
Night at the Observatory - 7 p.m.
Arts and Science Airport Lounge + Grenfell Observatory, Grenfell Campus
Have you ever been curious about the night sky? Join Dr. Svetlana Barkanova, a physics professor at Grenfell Campus, for a lecture about the night sky and celestial folklore, followed by tours of the Observatory, crafts and snacks.
Monday, July 22, 2019
Women in Science and Engineering TED-Style Talks - 1:30 p.m.
Room 2026, Arts and Science Building, Grenfell Campus
Join us for TED-Style Talks (10 minutes or less) from faculty and staff of Grenfell Campus, including:
- Dr. Svetlana Barkanova, is an internationally-known researcher who joined our new physics program in 2017. She will talk about particle physics and the hunt for Dark Matter.
- Dr. Karen Doody is the coordinator of the Aging Research Centre of Newfoundland and Labrador. She is a biomedical researcher that is currently seeking to understand susceptibility to disease and to find potential therapies.
- Dr. Julie Sircom is a biologist with a research interest in bees and their role as pollinators. More specifically, she is trying to understand the causes, incidents and impacts of changes in the bumblebee population.
- Dr. Maria Killfoil is the manager of the Makerspace in the Navigate Centre. She is a physicist that is currently helping to lead the new NSERC PromoScience Western NL program to promote science to youth in Western Newfoundland, particularly groups in rural areas, female students, and indigenous students.
- Dr. Erin Fraser, a professor in our environmental science program, is a vertebrate biologist and her research focuses on bat biology. She is particularly interested in aspects of bat echolocation and migration.
Tuesday, July 16, 2019
Grenfell Observatory Presents: "A Stellar Night with Saturn and Muin", 9:00pm – 11:00pm, Tuesday, July 16th, AS 2026. The ringed planet is at its closest and brightest now, and right next to the full Moon on 16th. Join us for a short talk about Saturn, a reading of "Muin and the Seven Bird Hunters", space trivia, and a visit to the Grenfell Observatory. All ages, free admission. Registration required - please go to GRENFELL OBSERVATORY PRESENTS: A STELLAR NIGHT WITH SATURN AND MUIN or search for Grenfell events on Eventbrite. In partnership with Grenfell Campus, NSERC PromoScience, Parks Canada and Qalipu First Nations. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like any additional information.