Laura Roberts, R.N., B.N., M.N., CCNE
Nurse Educator; Simulation Coordinator
Phone: (709) 784-6142
She has a special interest and nursing background in therapeutic communications, medical-surgical nursing, health promotion, telehealth, and experiential learning in nursing education with a focus on simulation.
- NURS 1003: Developing Therapeutic Relationships
- NURS 1015: Health Promotion
Representative scholarly contributions
- Roberts, L. & Tatchell, R. (December, 2019).
Non-traditional practice education evaluation methodology: A collaborative activity for clinical faculty to assess critical thinking development amongst students in various settings. Oral presentation. Western Regional School of Nursing, Western Health, research symposium titled “Sharing Best Practices in Health Care: Research, Practice, and Education.” Corner Brook, NL.
- Roberts, L. & Tatchell, R. (January, 2020).
Non-traditional practice education evaluation methodology: A collaborative activity for clinical faculty to assess critical thinking development amongst students in various settings. Oral presentation. Grenfell classrooms event – innovative teaching. Corner Brook, NL.
- Hancock, P. & Roberts, L. (October, 2021).
Simulation and experiential learning in nursing education. Oral presentation. Grenfell Campus celebration of experiential learning titled “How to Create an Engaging Classroom Virtual Symposium.” Corner Brook, NL.
Current research projects and grants
1. Effectiveness of Casper with Undergraduate Nursing Students: A Mixed Methods Study to Examine Incremental Validity Evidence of Program and National Licensure Performance (2021 – present (anticipated to span over a 5 years)
- Awarded $25,000 through ALO grant
- Primary Investigators: Dr. Kathleen Stevens & Renee Crossman
- Co-investigators: Allan Anstey, Laura Roberts, Gina Billard, Janice Walsh, Dr. Donna Moralego, Dr. April Pike, Dr. Sandra MacDonald
2. Development of Gerontological Focused Communication Deficit Simulation Activity to Prepare First Year Nursing Students for Long Term Care Practice Education (2021).
- Awarded $2,000 from ARCASN educational grant.
- Co-primary project leaders: Laura Roberts & Nicole Lewis
3. VIRTU-Wil National Simulation Project – Simulation Canada & CiCaN (2021). Creation of two virtual simulation games.
- Awarded $20,000 stipend to institution for simulation.
- Project leader: Laura Roberts
Memberships and affiliations
- Atlantic Region- Canadian Association of Schools of Nursing (ARCASN)
- Canadian Nurses Association (CNA)
- CASN Nurse Educator Simulation Interest Group
- College of Registered Nurses of Newfoundland and Labrador (CRNNL)
- Registered Nurses Union of Newfoundland and Labrador (RNUNL)