Students of the General Science program at Grenfell Campus, Memorial University, work towards a Bachelor of Science degree.
The four-year program gives students the opportunity to explore a variety of topics in five main areas of study. Students choose three of the following areas to focus on:
- Earth systems
Why study general science at Grenfell?
Science is about the origins of Earth and the understanding of the complex relationships between all its elements. It’s knowledge of plants and animals. It explains how a plane flies or a house is built – it’s the foundation of our lives. Grenfell’s general science degree program is unlike any other degree in Canada. It recognizes the unique scientific foundation that comes from a triple concentration.
Because of the interdisciplinary nature of the program, you’ll have a large number of course offerings to choose from. You’ll be led in classrooms by academics from diverse backgrounds and areas of expertise. Determining your concentrations will help you to define more clearly what your course load will look like.
You’ll study the night sky through one of Atlantic Canada’s largest astronomical telescope, housed in Grenfell’s recently opened
observatory. New state-of-the-art chemistry, biology, earth science and physics labs are located in the Arts and Science Building.
- The chemistry lab focuses on the study of organic chemistry, the study of carbon-based molecules, and inorganic chemistry, which includes the study of metallic compounds.
- The earth science/soils laboratory accommodates the study of soils as well as courses in earth science beyond the first year. Two research labs include wet and dry benches for scientific work in the fields of biology, chemistry, earth and environmental science.
- The biology lab supports the cultivation of tissue culture and microbiological preparation.
- Electricity and subatomic physics are taught in the physics lab.
There is a variety of career opportunities for graduates of the general science program, including:
- Science and laboratory technician
- Medicine and related areas
Learn about other programs in Grenfell's School of Science and the Environment.