Dr. Gabriela Sabau, B.A., Ph.D. (Academy of Economic Studies, Bucharest, Romania)
Professor – Economics / Environmental Studies
Phone: (709) 637-6200 ext. 2552
Gabriela Sabau holds a BA and a PhD in Economics from the Academy of Economic Studies in Bucharest. Before coming to Canada, Gabriela was an Assistant Professor of Economics at the Academy of Economic Studies in Bucharest and a member of a national research network for the sustainable reconstruction of Romania. Since 2003, she has been teaching Economics and Environmental Studies at Grenfell Campus, Memorial University of Newfoundland. In 2013 she was awarded the Grenfell Campus Teaching Award. Gabriela's research interests are sustainability, sustainable development, fueled by scientific knowledge and value judgements; unjust un-economic growth; demand-side management of water resources; and sustainable management of fisheries, with a focus on small-scale fisheries. She is a member of the international research network "Too Big to Ignore", dedicated to global revival of small-scale fisheries. In the last two years, Gabriela has led a committee for the development of a PhD in Transdisciplinary Sustainability program proposal.
Research interests and expertise
Sustainability, sustainable development; unjust un-economic growth; demand-side management of water resources; sustainable governance of fisheries, with a focus on small-scale fisheries; economics and policies of coastal and marine areas.
Current research projects and grants
- Active: 2017-2021: Ocean Frontier Institute (OFI) Research Project, Module: Informing Governance Responses in a Changing Ocean. Funded by Canada First Research Excellence Funds (CFREF). Co-investigator (1 of 15) for CAD $3.27M ($2.1M grant; $1.1M leveraged contributions). PI: R. Chuengpagdee and B. Neis, MUN, St. John's Campus.
- 2012-2018: Too Big to Ignore: global partnership for the future of small-scale fisheries. Canadian Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC) Partnership grant. Co-applicant (1 of 48) for Cdn $4.83 m ($2.5 m grant; $2.33 contributions) project (2012-2018) led by R Chuengpagdee, MUN, St. John's.
- 2018: Mitacs Accelerate Scholarship: $17,500. Internship Project: Analysis of an effective model for shipping grains from Summerside in PEI to Corner Brook, NL.
- 2015: The Future of Nature? SSHRC Connect Grant for the Future of Nature? International Conference, Grenfell Campus, September 10-13, 2015. Co-applicant with Sean McGrath (Philosophy, MUN) for CAD $50.000 (granted CAD $ 50.000). Co-applicant for the Cross Campus Initiative fund. Granted: $1250.
- 2014: Grenfell Vice-President Grant for research entitled: The Degree of Preparedness by Newfoundland Fisheries for the CETA Agreement: $1,500.
Chapters in Books
Sabau, G., E. M. Dobrescu, 2020. "Paradigme actuale ale sistemului alimentar global" (Current paradigms of the global food system), chapter in book Studii si Cercetari de Biodiversitate, vol. 2, Aurel F. Badiu, Emilian M. Dobrescu, Laurențiu Ciornei (Editors). Craiova: Sitech.
- Sabau, G., 2018. "Ecological Economics", chapter in book: The Future of Ocean Governance and Training, Integrated Coastal and Ocean Management, Ed. Coffen-Smout, S., Brill Publishers, Boston.
- Sabau, G., 2016. "Costa Rica: A Champion of the UN-FAO Voluntary Guidelines for Sustainable Small-Scale Fisheries". Chapter in book Implementation of the SSF Guidelines, S. Jentoft et al. (edit.), Springer International Publishing, Switzerland.
- Sabau, G., 2014."Environmental Studies Now". Chapter in ebook Environmental Science for the Curious, editor Kishor Vaidya University of Canberra, Australia.
- Sabau, G., 2011. "Whose fish is it anyway? Iceland's cod fishery rights", chapter in book World Small-Scale Fisheries. Contemporary Visions. Ed. Ratana Chuenpagdee, Eburon Delft.
- G. Sabau, 2020. The Political Economy of Sustainability, Sustainability 12(4):1537. doi:10.3390/su12041537
- Redwan A., G. Sabau and M. Haghiri, 2019. The Long Run Relationship between Economic Growth and Environmental Quality, Asian Journal of Agricultural Extension, Economics & Sociology 32(3): 1-10, 2019; Article no.AJAEES.48454 ISSN: 2320-7027.
- Foley, P., Carruthers, E., Neis B., Sabau, G., Fiander, W., 2017. "Fisheries and Aquaculture in a Post-Oil Dependent Newfoundland and Labrador", Royal Society of Canada Expert Panel Report.
- Mercer, N., Sabau, G., Klinke, A., 2017. "Wind energy is not an issue for government: Barriers to wind energy development in Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada". Energy Policy. Volume 108, pp. 673-683.
- Sabau, G., Boksh, M., 2017. "Fish Trade Liberalization under 21st Century Trade Agreements: The CETA and Newfoundland and Labrador Fish and Seafood Industry", Ecological Economics, Issue 141, pp. 222-233.
- Sabau, G., van Zyll de Jong, M., 2015. "From Unjust Uneconomic Growth to Sustainable Fisheries in NL: The True Cost of Closing the Inshore Fishery of Groundfish", Marine Policy, Volume 61, pp. 376-389.
- Sabau, G., 2010. "Know, Live, and Let Live: Towards a Redefinition of the Knowledge-Based Economy – Sustainable Development Nexus", Ecological Economics, Issue 69, pp. 1193-1201.
- Sabau, G., Haghiri, M., 2008. "Household Willingness-to-Engage in Water Quality Projects in Western Newfoundland and Labrador: A Demand-Side Management Approach", Water and Environment Journal" Issue 22, pp. 168-176.
- 2013 Grenfell Teaching Award