Christine E. Campbell, B.Sc. (British Columbia), M.Sc. (Alberta), Ph.D. (Memorial)
Associate Professor – Environmental Science
Phone: (709) 639-6478
Freshwater ecology (limnology) and water quality, specifically ecology of zooplankton in natural and human-impacted freshwater systems in Newfoundland and Labrador, with current emphasis on fjord-type lakes on the west coast. Current research has also focussed on aquatic invaders in western Newfoundland, particularly introduced anurans (frogs and toads).
- Biol 2600 Principles of Ecology
- Biol 2122 Biology of Invertebrates
- Envs 3072 Comparative Marine Environments
- Envs 3130 Freshwater Ecology
Representative scholarly contributions
- Kelly, D., C. Campbell, R. Scott and I. Warkentin. 2018. Sustainability of introduced American Toad populations in western Newfoundland. The Osprey 49: 20-24.
- Kelly, D.O., R.J. Scott, C E. Campbell and I.G. Warkentin. 2017. Dispersal and niche diferentiation of newly introduced mink frogs in the presence of established green frogs in western Newfoundland, Canada. Copeia 105:389-398
- Melanson, R.L. and C.E. Campbell. 2012. Near-shore fish populations within St. Paul's Inlet, an estuarine system in western Newfoundland. Northeastern Nat. 19: 487-500.
- Knoechel, R., D. Copeman and C.E. Campbell. 2010. Long-term trophic evolution of a northern reservoir following impoundment: different temporal response patterns of primary production and plankton biomass with a predictive model for future trends. Verh. Int. Ver. Limnol 30: 1619-1624.
Memberships and affiliations
Faculty Supervisor for
Let’s Talk Science - Grenfell.
Honours, graduate and post-graduate supervision
- Barry, O.J. 2021. Analysis of trace metal concentrations in relation to water quality and anuran distributions. B.Sc. Hons, Grenfell Campus – MUN.
- Young, J.O. 2021. Distribution and abundance of introduced anuran species in ponds on the Baie Verte Peninsula, NL. B.Sc. Hons, Grenfell Campus – MUN.
- Stevens, E.N. 2017. A biological assessment of zooplankton in St. Pauls Inlet: an estuarine environment in Gros Morne National Park. M.Sc. Biology, MUN.
- Kelly, D. O. 2016. Impact of invasive anurans in western Newfoundland. M.Sc., Cognitive and Behavioural Ecology, MUN (co-supervision)
webpage for complete list).