Students are required to take one elective course as part of their program, in addition to the core TRSU courses (i.e. 7001 and 7002). The specific elective is determined by the supervisory committee in conjunction with the student, and is typically meant to give the student some familiarity with a new field that is relevant to their proposed research – this is meant to reflect the “broad interdisciplinarity” focus of the program. A student can take more than one elective if the committee decides it is necessary.
Because the elective could be from any subject at MUN, registering for it is more complicated than registering for the core courses. Please follow this process:
1. Determine the appropriate elective. The student and supervisory committee make this decision together.
2. Reach out to the instructor of that course directly, briefly explain your situation, and ask if they would be willing to have you enroll in their course.
3. Once you have the instructor's informal approval, try registering for the course yourself using MUN Self Service. This is unlikely to work, but if it does, skip to Step 6. Otherwise, fill out a course change form and formally request the instructor’s signature. Please CC the TRSU Graduate Officer (currently email@example.com) on your request and note that you are doing so.
4. Once you have the instructor’s permission, the form goes to the course’s “academic unit head” for an additional signature. Start by sending the form to that unit’s graduate officer (see the contact list). Explain your situation and request a signature (suggest that they help you forward the form along if they are not the right person to sign it). Please CC the TRSU Graduate Officer (currently firstname.lastname@example.org) on your request and note that you are doing so.
5. The completed form goes to the Registrar’s Office (email@example.com). See the Registrar's Office website for more information on this and earlier steps.
6. This last step is not as pressing, but sometime after you are registered in the course, you should update your program with a program change form, complete with signatures from your supervisor and the TRSU Graduate Officer (currently firstname.lastname@example.org). You may want to wait until your committee members, thesis title, and all of your courses are finalized, because all of those changes can be noted in this form. The completed form goes to SGS (email@example.com) – please CC the Grenfell Graduate Secretary (currently firstname.lastname@example.org) and the TRSU Graduate Officer (currently email@example.com).
The current comprehensive exam procedures are available on request to anyone currently affiliated with the program (e.g. students or supervisory committee members). Contact the TRSU Graduate Officer (currently firstname.lastname@example.org).