Bachelor of Arts with Major in English Language and Literature
- The 120 credit hour, 40 course program may be completed on a full or part-time basis as set out under
Table 1 Bachelor of Arts with Major in English Language and Literature.
- A student must complete Core Program Requirements as outlined under
School of Arts and Social Science Core Program Requirements.
- A student must complete an approved concentration of courses known as a Major, an approved concentration of courses known as a Minor, and elective courses to make up the required total of 40 courses, 120 credit hours.
- A student may not use the same course to satisfy the requirements for both a Major and a Minor.
- As an alternative to a Minor, a second Major may be completed and students must meet all general and departmental or program regulations for both Majors.
- A student may devise a Major/Minor of one's own choosing in close consultation with a faculty advisor and with approval of the appropriate dean(s). Such "open" programs must be approved by the School Committee on Student Academic Affairs.
- Any student enrolled in the Grenfell Campus Bachelor of Arts Degree with a Major in English who has completed the Bachelor of Fine Arts (Theatre) Degree at Grenfell Campus will be considered to have fulfilled the requirements for a Minor in Theatre.
||A minor comprised of 8 courses, 24 credit hours chosen from
Table 19 Minor Programs Offered by the School of Arts and Social Science, or from
Table 7 Minor Program Offered by the School of Fine Arts, or from
Table 10 Minor Programs Offered by the School of Science and the Environment. As an alternative to a Minor, a second Major may be completed.|
- Pre-1900 Courses
- English 2211, 2215, 2350, 2805, 3021, 3130, 3181, 3205, 3206, 3395, 4317
- Women Writers Courses
- English 2750 -2759, 2805, 3810
English courses that are listed in more than one category cannot be double counted.
- Any courses in arts, social science, science and fine arts and
- Up to 15 credit hours in other subject areas.
Honours in English
The Honours Bachelor of Arts in English offers greater concentration in the discipline and requires a higher level of academic achievement than is required for the completion of a general degree.
Course Requirements for Honours in English
1: Students must meet the General Regulations for the Grenfell Campus Bachelor of Arts degree.
2: Students must complete:
- English 1000, 1001, 2005, 2008, 2815, 3105, 3205 or 3206, 3395, 4951, and 4959.
- 30 additional credit hours in English courses, including at least 6 credit hours in nationally-identified literatures, at least 3 of those credit hours being in Canadian literature; at least 6 credit hours in pre-1900 courses; and at least 3 credit hours in women writers. At least 3 credit hours shall be at the 3000 level and at least 6 credit hours shall be at the 4000 level.
3: The Honours thesis shall be evaluated by the thesis supervisor and an additional faculty member selected by mutual consent of the student and the supervisor. In order to be considered for graduation with an Honours degree, the student must satisfy the regulations regarding Academic Standing as specified under Honours Degrees.