Apply to the education program
Complete the university's application for general admission/readmission. All supporting documents including your official transcripts for the general admission/readmission application should be mailed directly to the Office of the Registrar. Application deadline: January 15
Office of the Registrar
P.O. Box 4200
St. John's, NL A1C 5S7
Tel: 709-864-2527 | Fax: 709-864-4893
When completing your general admission/readmission application you must choose the bachelor of education (primary/elementary) - second degree. This program is offered at Grenfell Campus. Note: a separate application is required.
To be considered for admission to the Bachelor of Education (Primary/Elementary) as a Second Degree program, an applicant must have:
been awarded a Bachelor’s Degree, or approved (prior to program startup) for the award of a Bachelor’s Degree from a university recognized by Memorial University of Newfoundland;
achieved a cumulative average of at least 65% or an average of at least 65% on the last attempted 30 credit hours;
completed a minimum of:
- 6 credit hours in English - ESL courses cannot be used to satisfy this requirement;
- 6 credit hours in Mathematics or 3 credit hours in Calculus;
- 6 credit hours in Psychology;
- the former science 1150 and 1151; or 9credit hours from 3 separate Science areas, 6 credit hours of which must have a laboratory component. Chemistry 1900 may be used to satisfy 3 credit hours of the laboratory requirement. The science areas are: Biochemistry, Biology, Chemistry, Earth Sciences, Environmental Science, Ocean Sciences, Physics; or a Focus Area in Science;
- 6 credit hours in any combination to be chosen from: Anthropology, Archaeology, Economics, Folklore, Geography, History, Linguistics, Political Science, Religious Studies, Sociology;
- 6 credit hours in French (recommended) or 6 credit hours in a single language other than English, or demonstration of equivalent competency in a second language; and
- the equivalent of a completed focus area as per Focus Areas for Bachelor of Education (Primary/Elementary) as a First Degree or the completion of a major or minor within the initial Bachelor's degree program in a subject area classified as a focus area.
An applicant with French as a focus area must also have completed at least 4 weeks at an approved Francophone institution in a French-speaking area or have acquired equivalent work experience in a Francophone environment.
Students must also meet the general admission requirements for Memorial University to be eligible for Grenfell's bachelor of education program.