▼ eResources

Grenfell Campus
Menu Button
Default Interior


Your Grenfell Experience

​We'll continually update this page as information changes or new information becomes available. Check back often! Still have questions? Email info@grenfell.mun.ca


  • Taking courses from home
  • Housing
  • Study permits
  • TA experience
  • Orientation
  • Work Experience
  • Student health
  • Baseline funding
  • Graduate student union
  • Return to campus

Information for Graduate students

Is it possible to take graduate courses from my home country?

Yes, assuming you have the technology requirements, you can take courses that are offered remotely.

How would that affect the research part of the program?

Any research that cannot be conducted from home can be conducted when you return to campus. Remember that as a graduate student, you will not run out of time. No graduate students will be terminated from programs at this time due to a lack of progress in their studies. Graduate students who are close to or exceed the time limit for program completion will be granted a one-semester extension automatically. If you do not wish to extend your program, please email us at sgs@mun.ca.


Is housing available at Grenfell for the fall?

Every effort will be made to accommodate students who are required to be on campus for their course work. Students who are not required to be on campus will not be expected to live in Corner Brook


I am a new international graduate student. Do I need a study permit in order to register?

If you intend on coming to Canada to complete your degree, we will require a valid study permit or a letter of introduction from IRCC before you can register for Fall 2020.


I was hoping to gain some experience as a TA but that possibility may be affected?

At Grenfell it is our intent to offer online/remote TA opportunities.


Will there be a fall orientation for graduate students?

Yes! An orientation for Grenfell graduate students will be held online. Stay tuned for details!


Where can I learn about work experience opportunities?

To find GRADSWEP positions for student financial support, consult



I am concerned about my health. Are there resources I can avail of at Grenfell?

Memorial's Student Wellness and Counselling Centre (SWCC) and School of Graduate Studies have partnered to offer dedicated counseling supports for graduate students, including students at Grenfell Campus. To book an appointment with SWCC's counsellor for graduate students, please email swccwellness@mun.ca and include your full name, your graduate program, student number, current residential address, and phone number. Appointments are normally booked for the next business day and offered by telephone or virtual session.


Will I continue to receive my baseline funding?

Baseline funding will continue to be distributed and continuance fees will continue to be charged. Graduate students at Grenfell Campus should speak to their program graduate officer about baseline funding extensions. Baseline extensions apply to funding that is ending Aug. 31 and Dec. 31, extended for one semester.


How will I benefit from paying GSU fees? What is the role of the GGSS now?

The Grenfell Graduate Student Society continues to advocate for its members, and arrange informational Town Halls and other online activities to connect graduate students with each other. The Graduate Student Union also continues to be active. For a full list of services provided, please visit https://www.gsumun.ca/services.


How will I know if I am permitted on campus once things start to return to "normal?"

As campus re-opens, decisions about which activities are required to be in-person will be considered; however, activities that are not required to be in person (such as thesis defenses) will be carried out remotely.



More information pertaining to graduate students is available here. If you are unable to find answers to a particular question, please email Grenfell's Office of Research and Graduate Studies at nsimmons@grenfell.mun.ca, or contact your program graduate officer.


Office of the Registrar

Grenfell Campus, Memorial University of Newfoundland
20 University Drive, Corner Brook, NL
A2H 5G4, Canada

Office: AS 277
Phone: (709) 637-6298
Email: info@grenfell.mun.ca

Grenfell Logo

© Grenfell Campus, Memorial University of Newfoundland, Corner Brook, NL Canada Toll Free 1-888-637-6269

Privacy Policy    Login    Library    Sitemap    Site Feedback

Grenfell Logo

© Grenfell Campus, Memorial University of Newfoundland, Corner Brook, NL Canada. Toll Free 1-888-637-6269

Privacy Policy




Site Feedback